javascript hit counter

Some Facts on Organ Donation

· Today, there are close to 90,000 Americans registered with the United Network for Organ Sharing on transplant waiting lists.

· Every year, an estimated 6,000 people die while waiting for organ transplants.

· In 1988, 4,080 people donated organs after death. In 2004, that number has nearly doubled to 7,150.

· Organ donation occurred in only .0025% of all deaths in the United States.

· One individual who donates after death can provide organs, corneas, skin, bone and tissue for 50 or more people in need.

· In 2004, there were 27,033 organ transplants performed in the United States.

· An estimated 220,000 Americans are treated with transplanted bone and tissue each year. Tissues include tendons and ligaments, skin used to treat burns, heart valves and eye corneas.

· About 46,000 cornea transplants are performed annually, with more than 5,000 people waiting for donated corneas.

· The largest number of children who need organ transplants are waiting for kidney donations. Approximately 13% of patients on the national kidney waiting list are children less than 18 years of age. Almost 1% are age five and under.

· Almost 44% of people waiting for organ transplants are between the ages of 18 and 49.

· By gender, 57% of Americans waiting for donated organs are male; 43% are female.

· African-Americans, who represent 27% of the national population, receive more than 40% of all kidney transplants. Because of specific medical conditions, including diabetes and high blood pressure, African-Americans suffer a disproportionately high rate of End Stage Renal Disease (kidney failure). There are currently more than 24,000 African Americans waiting for kidney or kidney-pancreas transplants nationwide.

· Survival rates for organ recipients continue to rise. The one year survival rate for kidney recipients is 95%, for heart recipients, 85%, for liver recipients, 77%, and for pancreas recipients, almost 77%. Between 1996 and 2001, one year survival rates for lung recipients increased by almost 34%.

· There is no cost to be an organ and tissue donor. Donation is a gift

posted by Total Core Fitness Bootcamp @ 4/07/2006 10:38:00 AM,

1 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger CODA-Organ Donation Charity said...

My Heart Transplant

My blog will take you through my personal experience of having a heart transplant. It will show the importance of organ donation. It will give guidance in case you or a loved one have to go through the transplant experience.

If the averages held, on the day I received my new heart 18 other people died somewhere in the U.S. because there wasn't a heart, kidney, liver or other organ available to save them. That makes me a very lucky guy.

I now have a chance to see my first two grandchildren this year. Both my daughter and my daughter-in-law are pregnant. Even more importantly my father, who has inoperable pancreatic cancer, has a chance to see his first two great granchildren before he dies.

What do you do when you have been blessed with a second chance in life? That's an individual decision for everyone. I decided to organize CODA. The aim is to provide financial help to the less fortunate for the cost of prescription drugs and medical costs. It also awards scholarships to young organ recipients to help them with school costs. It is a 501 (c)(3) charity so financial contributions are deductible according to state and federal law.

Organ recipients have to take anti-rejection drugs for the rest of their life. If they don't, they will die. Many people cannot afford the costs involved in a transplant. Through CODA I'm trying to help. You can visit our website at www.codacharity.org.

Don't be intimidated by the "Make a Donation" button. It's not asking for you to donate an organ. It merely takes you to "Paypal" if you'd like to make a secure tax-deductible charitable contribution via the Internet. Thanks and I hope you enjoy reading about my personal experience.

Any day is a great day for a patient to receive a transplant, but to receive my heart on Valentine's Day, 2004 is very special to me and my family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Author

Coach Ryan

Ryan is twenty seven years old and recently married. Him and his wife are expecting their first child in May. One of his current jobs is as a personal trainer. He also volnteers as a youth football head coach, the players are 8-11 yrs old.

About This Blog

This blog is the thoughts and ramblings of what goes on in my head. Sometimes it could be modivational and other times it could be complete insanity. Thats the beauty of it all.

Additional Information

I will eventually add more information in here. If you want to get to know me more, follow some of the links. I reccomend reading all the blogs I have linked here.


Web This Blog

About me

Archives

Previous Posts

Links

My Project