javascript hit counter

Day 1 Done, Along With Some Fears

Yesterday was the first day of practice. At first I like another coach had some reservations about putting the kids on the field in the heat. To our luck, the breeze picked up, the sun went behind the trees and the shadows gave us some much needed comfort.

I will not deny that as I saw more and more players joining my team, I had a fear of, "how the hell am I going to control close to 35, 8-10 yr olds". On top of this, the other thing going on in the back of my mind is how will these coaches, whom I had met 2 times during the summer, who had been under the original coach, react to my style and take on my coaching beliefs. See, I am what some people would call a "players coach." I, like to have fun, keep it light, but be strict.

When 8:30 pm came around and the kids were going home with play books in hand, half of my fears were settled. The kids did amazing and grasped the new formations and understood things faster then a year prior. The other coaches were in amazement to see that the kids could go on 2. This means for all you non-football fans (down-Set-Hut-hut).

The other half of my fear was thrown out this morning. I talked with one coach last night to go over positions of the kids, yet I knew I had 1 other coach of the 4 I have that I was not too sure on how he felt. In and email this morning he basically said he loved practice and the new ways it done. He especially liked the whistle, bc he feels like an official assistant coach. I do not know why, but that brought a huge smile to my face. To see that something so simple, so tiny an item, brought a bigger meaning to a coach in feeling like he was complete and really a part of the decision making.

posted by Total Core Fitness Bootcamp @ 8/02/2006 07:53:00 AM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Author

Coach Ryan

Ryan is twenty seven years old and recently married. Him and his wife are expecting their first child in May. One of his current jobs is as a personal trainer. He also volnteers as a youth football head coach, the players are 8-11 yrs old.

About This Blog

This blog is the thoughts and ramblings of what goes on in my head. Sometimes it could be modivational and other times it could be complete insanity. Thats the beauty of it all.

Additional Information

I will eventually add more information in here. If you want to get to know me more, follow some of the links. I reccomend reading all the blogs I have linked here.


Web This Blog

About me

Archives

Previous Posts

Links

My Project