javascript hit counter

"New Jersey, Come See For Yourself"

Ahhh yes, the new state slogan. Not to bad considering what was offered.

For those of you out there who know someone from NJ or are from NJ you have to admit something. For a state that gets picked on often and has its problems, many of the residents of NJ are proud to be from NJ. We wear it like a badge. "yeah I'm from NJ, gotta problem?" or "yeah we have Camden, second year in a row as being the most unsafe place to live in America, woop woop!" New Jersey is my home, I do not want to leave this great state, however I will bet that in another yr or 2 the Avg home will be 1 Mill at the lowest. I think the state slogans should have been:
However, the new Bon Jovi song Who says you can't go home, is going to be used by the state to try and bring young people back home. As crazy as it sounds, the song sounds too much like many of the feelings I get just thinking about leaving my town. Lyrics Here

posted by Total Core Fitness Bootcamp @ 1/13/2006 08:19:00 AM,

4 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And so, the unfolding drama as to what New Jersey's new state motto will be has come to an end. The winner: "New Jersey....come see for yourself." Now, let's see... should I come see for myself the gas tank farms that blight the NJ Turnpike, the bumper-to-bumper traffic outside the Lincoln Tunnel at rush hour or, perhaps, the unprecedented number of toxic waste sites?
Regardless of the unintended double meaning, NJ's new motto got me to thinking about other taglines from hell. Who can forget:
"We want you to live" (Mobil Oil)
"Why fool around with anyone else?" (FedEx)
"Eat Jimmy Dean" (Jimmy Dean Sausage)
Double entendres serve as great taglines when they're clever and communicate a double positive. Sadly, though, NJ's new moniker only reinforces an already horrific reputation and leaves the state open to further ridicule. Sad as it may be New Jersey's reputation as a dump is well earned and until they begin to clean things up, the most clever words in the world won't make any difference.

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with you. I think many of the residents are proud to be from NJ. My friends from high school and myself have often made jokes about the smell around our town exit and that's fine. However, if I hear someone from out of state poke fun at NJ, talking about how all we have are the smells and the Turnpike, I can't help but be on the defensive. I know there are smells and the Turnpike has its reputation, but I know there's more to NJ than that. Like the beaches, the nice mountain and forest areas up north, the farm areas down south. Of course, out of staters won't see any of this if they just stick to the Turnpike. To them, I say, "Come see for yourself."

Where do we have cheap gas?! :D

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Kim said...

The gas in NJ is cheaper than the gas in NY because of all the taxes NY puts on its gas.

 
At 2:05 AM, Blogger Riss said...

I did a similar post to this but I'm in Jersey City, so mine were like "New Jersey: You Didn't Like Your Car Anyway."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Author

Coach Ryan

Ryan is twenty seven years old and recently married. Him and his wife are expecting their first child in May. One of his current jobs is as a personal trainer. He also volnteers as a youth football head coach, the players are 8-11 yrs old.

About This Blog

This blog is the thoughts and ramblings of what goes on in my head. Sometimes it could be modivational and other times it could be complete insanity. Thats the beauty of it all.

Additional Information

I will eventually add more information in here. If you want to get to know me more, follow some of the links. I reccomend reading all the blogs I have linked here.


Web This Blog

About me

Archives

Previous Posts

Links

My Project